Friday, February 24, 2012

Tabata This, Tabata That, Tabata Tired!

Across the workout world (of which I'm really and truly not a part of), the Tabata craze is hot, hot, hot.  Don't get me wrong -- I do like working out, but I'm definitely a fair weather fan of it.  I happened across Tabata via a YouTube search on short exercise clips to try in the mornings before I got ready for work as part of what I'm doing for Lent (see this blog entry).  Tabata is supposed to be a four-minute workout where you exert maximum energy for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds.  Most people choose routines featuring cardio moves, but you can also incorporate plyometrics and weight resistance.  Basically, you pick four exercises to perform and repeat them until the four minutes are up.  Here's some more information.  I, of course, would die if I did a full-fledged hard core Tabata workout, so I am doing "beginner" types of exercises that (hopefully) won't kill me.  Here's one from diet.com's newly certified personal trainer Sarah Dussault.


Beginner Tabata Workout Video

It reminds me a lot of bootcamp workouts and interval training except that it is much, much shorter.  I like that there is an endless variety of exercises you can choose to perform and that the calorie burn is inevitable.  Incorporating this workout at the end of a walk/run but before one of my yoga routines is something I like to do if I'm doing an extended workout.  If you try it, let me know what you think.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment