Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Makeup Haul

Yeah, I know, I know.  Why on earth is this in a blog entitled Small Steps Daily?  Well, small steps are taken every day in pretty much everything we do.  This time I took a small step in personal beauty care.

The last time I bought any make up other than my constant companions of powder foundation, lip gloss, eyeliner, and mascara was about two years ago during a Black Friday shopping spree when I treated myself to a lipstick tube from Kohl's American Beauty line Luxury for Lips in Tickled Pink.  Honestly, my beauty routine took a severe hit once I had my first child 11 years ago.  I stopped using liquid foundation and doing things like painting my nails on a regular basis.

However, my kids are older now, and I'm in my mid-forties looking for a Vitamin B-12 shot, if you will.  I became curious about Revlon's newer PhotoReady line of foundation because I really don't like the powder foundation I'm currently using and searched on YouTube in hopes of a video review of the products.  I hit on the Beauty Broadcast channel created by a newscaster/make up guru Emily Eddington.  She has such a great personality and exudes confidence and expertise on the subject of makeup that I spent a couple of hours exploring her channel as well as her blog.   She totally inspired me, at the age of 44, to update my makeup routine.  So . . . I went to stores like Target, Sally's Beauty Supply, and Walgreens to buy products based off Emily's recommendations.


Makeup Haul

  • ELF makeup brushes -- a lot of ELF products are only a buck a piece!!!  WOW!
    • smaller bronzer brush
    • flat eye shadow brush
  • Revlon PhotoReady eye primer and brightener
  • Revlon PhotoReady concealer
  • Maybelline Dream Matte powder
  • Wet N Wild eye shadow in Comfort Zone
  • Wet N Wild lipstick 547B
  • Wet N Wild nail polishes
    • Wet Cement
    • Under Your Spell
    • 2% Milk -- cute, cute, cute name!
  • China Glaze nail polishes
    • Awakening
    • Avalanche
  • Rimmel Lasting Finish liquid foundation
  • Rimmel Moisture Renew lipstick in Dreamy
  • Rimmel Fix and Perfect primer
  • Rimmel Stay Glossy lip gloss in Non-Stop Glamour
  • Rimmel Soft Kohl eye liner pencil in Pure White
  • Avalon Organics Soothing Lip Balm (on clearance for $1.14)
  • Lip gloss in Strawberry (this was on display at Michael's) -- for my 11yo daughter


What I enjoyed about Emily's videos is that I learned some of the inexpensive, okay CHEAP, brands such as Wet N Wild and ELF had terrific products in their line.  I ended up spending about 85 dollars for 19 products -- that's amazing to me.  Before having children, I would spend 75 bucks just on one bottle of Estee Lauder moisturizer.  Seriously!  

I tried out the new primer (which I had previously NEVER thought of using) as well as the foundation and new eye shadows last night when my family all went out to dinner at a local Olive Garden Italian Restaurant.  I felt so good about myself.  Psychology is an interesting thing, and sometimes you need to take a small step in an unexpected and simple area such as beauty care.  :)  

P. S.  You can tell this haul made quite an impression on me since I decided to blog for the first time since July!  :D

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! :) And I put getting new make up and beauty products up there with getting a hair cut! It really DOES make you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I'm going to try to start posting once a week. You're right about what you say in your blog: blogging is cheaper than therapy. :) And, I can't wait for my next beauty haul! :D

      Delete