I should so be getting paid for product placement! LOL
Every time I make this deliciously decadent dessert, it is nothing short of a crowd pleaser. I guess it may have something to do with the Kahlua! :) BTW, this dessert came from a Southern Living recipe about 18 years ago.
- 1 package of chocolate brownie mix (the more chocolate flavor, the better)
- 1 big tub of Cool Whip
- 2 packages of instant chcolate pudding mix
- 1 bag of crushed Heath bars (in the baking section)
- 1/2 cup of coffee-flavored liqueur (I have used both Tia Maria and Kahlua)
Make the brownies according to package directions. While they are baking, you can go ahead and make the pudding according to package directions and thaw out the Cool Whip. The pudding can chill in the refrigerator. As soon as the brownies come out of the oven (DO NOT OVERCOOK), poke several holes in the brownies with a fork or toothpick and drizzle (I love that word) liqueur into the holes. Let cool completely and mush (this is kinda yucky). Now you're ready for layering the trifle: brownies, pudding, Cool Whip, and toffee pieces. The trifle should be big enough for you to compete two full rounds of the layering. Enjoy!
1. I have a heavy hand with the liqueur. Believe me when I say that the 1/2 cup is just a suggestion. :)
2. I use store brand versions of the Cool Whip and pudding.
3. This is a very forgiving recipe.
4. I also have made smaller versions that fit into a small dish if the trifle was too big for the occasion.