Monday, July 16, 2012

Pasta Primavera -- Quick and Easy

I'm trying to add a bit of healthy eating where I can these days.  I mean, let's face it, I love pasta, meat, and I have a insatiable sweet tooth!  Normally, when we would have pasta and shrimp for dinner, we would also add a fattening Alfredo sauce and buttered garlic bread to the menu.

Ooooooh, let's count the calories!  

Lately, we've been leaving off the bread, but I wanted to take it a step further last night.  My husband boiled some fettucini, sauteed some shrimp, and warmed up some Alfredo sauce.  I reached into the freezer and amazingly pulled out a store-brand bag of frozen Italian vegetable mix of squash, zucchini, butter beans, red bell peppers, etc., and made them according to the package directions for using a stovetop.  I seasoned them with an Italian blend from my spice cabinet afterward.  So . . . when it came time to eat, I scooped very little (probably 3/4 of a cup) of the fettucini on my salad-sized plate, about 1/2 dozen shrimp, and a hearty helping of the Italian vegetable blend, totally ignoring the Alfredo sauce.


Quick and Easy Pasta Primavera!
It was sooooo goooood, and sooooo easy, and best of all, it took little effort on my part to make a healthier dinner choice for myself.  I realize Food Network chefs may frown on my little bag of frozen veggies, but it's at least a start.  LOL Small steps, small steps, small steps toward a healthier body.  Go, me!

4 comments: